View Single Post
Old 13-06-2018, 18:56   #68
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era
Re: [update] Santa Fe school shooting: 10 dead and 10 wounded in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Did you miss the "it kills large numbers of people at high speed at long range" bit?
So a bunch of serial killers do harm, your response is to excoriate the weapon / ownership of it?

That doesn't fit as to any possible reason to ban the weapon, IMO.

Quote:
Excellent, progress. You accept that you do not need one, good.
I didn't need your gratification for that. If ever I did need or want one and it was lawful to purchase it in my locality, I would buy one.

Quote:
I will also venture that no one else needs one either. If they do, please explain, in rational terms, the need for ownership?
Why? I mean, they don't answer to you nor do they have to justify their desire to buy one, to you or anyone.

Quote:
You are wrong here. The US constitution is the supreme law defined as the will of the people. The constitution defines the legal rights, not just limits them.
Quote:
The first 10 amendments to the Constitution make up the Bill of Rights. James Madison wrote the amendments, which list specific prohibitions on governmental power, in response to calls from several states for greater constitutional protection for individual liberties. For example, the Founders saw the ability to speak and worship freely as a natural right protected by the First Amendment. Congress is prohibited from making laws establishing religion or abridging freedom of speech. The Fourth Amendment safeguards citizens’ right to be free from unreasonable government intrusion in their homes through the requirement of a warrant.
https://www.billofrightsinstitute.or...ill-of-rights/

The second amendment is one of those 10 amendments, it restricts the government's ability to infringe on gun ownership.

This is basic civics 101. I don't have the time to go through this and explain it to you bit by bit right now but you are categorically wrong on this issue - it has gone through appeal after appeal, courts have affirmed it - decades of fighting and so on. There is no legal or constitutional basis for the government to infringe on the rights of the populace to bear arms.

Quote:
Sorry, I do not "follow" ...
Hopefully the above has explained some of it. If you do have more questions, I'll answer them in time but Hugh seems to have a pretty good grasp on this. He and I may differ some on the philosophy of all this but his understanding of the technical mechanism of how it all works / the levers and the pulleys etc is accurate. It is difficult for people who do not understand this from a grade school level (being taught it) to pick it up later but your interpretation is not correct on the structure of government.

Quote:
In a civilised society, if you want to own a weapon that has such lethal capabilities then I suggest that you do need to justify to your fellow citizens why you must have this military grade weapon.
Yeah again you don't seem to understand how the US system works - you do not need to justify anything when you exercise a right - not in the slightest. The US may not be a civilized society in your opinion but that is all it is - your opinion. And your opinion does not allow you to infringe upon the rights of others.
Chloé Palmas is offline   Reply With Quote