View Single Post
Old 18-03-2019, 09:05   #5049
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The Netflix Original production 'House of Cards' and others have turned up on the Virgin Media UHD Channel, so it's already happening.
One thing I've noticed is that many Netflix shows have long been available on DVD/Blu-ray whereas Amazon ones haven't. I used to get the get the best of both via LoveFilm (before they disappeared obviously, and before they messed with their payment tier which resulted in me stopping being a customer) by renting the DVDs of likes of House Of Cards alongside streaming likes of Bosch.

I get impression Amazon contacts give the production company less control to do deals with shows elsewhere, I've never seen a true Amazon Original available via other media or broadcaster (I don't include Ripper Street as BBC still retained involvement after cancelling it).

Another example of Netflix shows appearing on broadcast TV is Sony Crime and Orange Is The New Black.

I think what blurs the lines with both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video is they both label outside shows as Originals and they are often first shown on other network in other countries, they only premiere on them elsewhere e.g. Orphan Black which was a BBC America show.

Many people are as a result giving Netflix and Amazon credit for shows that they didn't originate.

And now there are more complicated examples, where regional broadcasters/production companies are bringing the pair of them (not at the same time, one or the other) in primarily so they can get a bigger budget. Good Omens on Amazon was originally a BBC show, but they recognised during development they (& other companies involved at the time) needed more money to do justice and Amazon clearly asked for first transmission as part of the deal for additional funding. So BBC Two will now be showing it later in the year, despite BBC Studios still making it.

I have no problem with co-productions, but it really annoys me Amazon calling it an Original when they are late to the project.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 18-03-2019 at 09:08.