View Single Post
Old 28-07-2019, 13:39   #1480
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Like why would Virgin want Netflix on its platform? Or Amazon? Or Amazon channels? All of these arguments have been put forward in the past by people disagreeing with me that this will come about.
None of those had emphatic press releases about content deals that deliberately failed to mention them.

Quote:
You forget that not every decision made by media companies follow your neat little package of ideas based on simplistic economic models such as 'this will cost the company £x and they will offer it to customers at £y and this makes it unviable'. There are many factors that are considered when making decisions such as these. Most of your arguments centre around very simple economic calculations when actually situations tend to be much more complex. It seems to me that you fail to factor in some very obvious considerations in your arguments, such as the additional revenue that can be made from attracting new customers. I have been saying for a long time that having all these services accessible and searchable from one box is an advantage and companies who offer such services will benefit from being able to offer all that content. Clearly, BT, Virgin Media and a reluctant Sky appreciate that now.

Roku is a good example of how people are attracted to a platform that offers a huge range of streaming services.
Literally every single capitalist decision does follow a simplistic economic model - the straightforward profit seeking motive. The only bit of variance relates to a) market share or b) long term decision making.

I don't know how you can reasonably say I fail to consider the ability to gain new customers. Indeed, a straightforward reading of post 1464 sees me apply such insight into Sky Atlantic not coming to Virgin Media.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote