View Single Post
Old 29-10-2020, 10:01   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: New 4G router or Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Fluctuations on the SNR between 1-4dB but never posting a negative figure. I'm going to opt for the antenna when I get the time and give it a go placing it in some external areas regarding the two known masts.

This wasn't an average move for a like for like property. This had fresh insulation, fresh plastering, new walls, windows the works, the entire inside is basically new. I'm wondering if anything in the materials has created issues. I'm consistently down to one bar signal on phones in most places inside the property with the exception of the windows.

On a lighter note, there's a billboard down the road with '5g causes covid' So I can look forward to my antenna being set on fire after being mistaken for a 5g device.
Negative values aren’t really negative, they’re just a useful shorthand for expressing small fractions of 1dB, as decibels are measured on a logarithmic scale. However in the case of SINR there can’t be a negative value. If you experience zero you have no signal at all. Anything below about 16 is fair, once you get into low single figures it’s poor, and there is a drastic fall off in performance.

From the reading I’ve done, your very poor SINR reading is consistent with the physical conditions you described in your OP.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote