View Single Post
Old 28-10-2020, 11:16   #1
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
New 4G router or Antenna

Coming at this as a 4g router novice and have now stumbled upon a fairly hefty issue.

I moved into an area a few years ago now with no Virgin Media option available and thus ADSL/Fibre was the way forward. Having suffered numerous and repeated line issues over the 18 month contract I dove into looking at a 4g option instead, I'm not heavy on latency reliability as I used to be regarding games so I could make do with this.

Got a cracking deal with THREE as an existing long time customer for a mere £17pm (Unlimited) and a B535 Huawei router. That came and straight off the bounce, I noticed our nearest mast was less than 200 yards away with a direct line of site, 80-100mbits and around 20-25 up, fantastic, without tweaking anything.

Went and moved about 100 yards up the street but on the opposite side. Now have a house obscuring the line of site to the mast that's now about 300 yards away and a tree in the back garden regarding the mast about 800-900m on the other side. As expected, the router in 4G mode shat the bed. 3-4mbits and dropouts on the download side. This is in the top room window facing the closest mast obscured by the house. I've had to set the router to 3g mode to obtain around 15mbits and some stability. It's seemingly the strongest location in the house.

I need advice on what I should or can be doing to improve this.

At present I'm considering the following.

A) New router? The B535 generally has favourable reviews, this one has no bunny ear antennas in the back though. I've had a browse through the list in the other thread but unsure what actual opinion on the B535 is around here.

B) Antennas either bunny eared ones or an external antenna for either side of the house? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poynting-Cr...11T8E45YSAGYX4
I'm wondering if any difference will be achievable with the line of site blockages, I have no experience of these. Was thinking of testing the potential external locations with a mobile device first.

C) Asking Three for a settlement amount and re-subbing to Fibre.