View Single Post
Old 17-09-2020, 13:07   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Help improving home network security (Super hub 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I can highly recommend Fingbox

You plug it into your router and once set up every device is blocked until you approve it via the app or desktop version.

Yesterday my dad bought himself a Galaxy Tab S7+ and I entered the Wi-Fi code but fingbox blocked it.

But I simply approved it.

A few months ago I was playing with the guest network on my router, and it blocked 4 Huawei devices that I guess a neighbour had.
I don't use guest Wifi, but a second vote for the Fingbox here..

The interesting thing is that because of how the blocking works, the device thinks it's connected to the Internet, just gets no response when it tries to do anything useful.

It's worked reliably for the last couple of years, and has blocked more devices than I thought it would.

The only time I've had any trouble with it is while beta testing iOS 14. iOS 14 has an option to generate a random MAC every time it connects to a WiFi network (to prevent tracking), with the option to present a consistent MAC address to known networks. This didn't work, which meant every time my phone or watch connected to my network, they were both blocked..

Apple have since fixed this.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote