View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 13:23   #1522
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Your quote doesn't address UHF spectrum at all. What it does float is the idea that broadcasters might be looking at deploying their own 5G multicast technology in order to directly reach viewers in the medium term. If that's the case, then it indicates that broadcasters still essentially have a broadcast mindset - otherwise they would be content to simply put their content on the internet and allow viewers to access it via their ISP (whether that's a 4G/5G mobile operator, ADSL or fibre). If there's any room for UHF here, it is conceivable that a broadcaster might want to use the UHF frequencies currently delivering DVB-T Freeview transmissions to deliver a future 5G based service instead. This, however, would still have more in common with our present understanding of broadcast TV than VOD.
I agree, it doesn’t address the UHF spectrum aspect of your argument, but what was of interest to me was the expectation that broadcast TV would migrate to IPTV within the next 10 years and that this would become the main method of broadcasting. I was pilloried for suggesting such a thing not long ago.

I also stated that the BBC had the working assumption that they would move to IPTV in the next TV licence period, and that was scoffed at as well.

It is clear to me which way this is going, but I guess people will believe what they want to believe until it stares them in the face.