Thread: US Timeline The Orville
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 16:54   #21
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: The Orville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
Just got round to watching this and finish EP12 yesterday.

I was 50/50 with this when I saw the advertisment but decided to give it a go last week. It has to be one of the best trek rip offs yet. it's everything you want star trek to be. They always seemed a bit stiff in the trek universe, When in real life the orville is probably more like how it would be lol
I've seen two Star Trek rip offs this year. The ironic thing is that although I enjoyed Star Trek Discovery, and feel it has potential, "The Orville" and "USS Calister" (Episode 1 of Black Mirror season 4), I think both of those shows actually feel more like the Star Trek I remember.

It's probably not surprising, as Charlie Brooker (writer of Black Mirror) and Seth MacFarlane (creator of The Orville) are both massive Star Trek fans, and The Orville is co-produced by Brannon Braga. A writer and producer who got his first experience on TNG, then went on to work on Voyager and Enterprise.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Discovery, but I feel it has lost what I consider a core quality of a good Trek series. Hope. Someone once said he thought the strength of Star Trek (all series) was it said to people "things are bad now, but it will get better" (he actually used a word that would trip the swear filter). Discovery has lost that (at least so far). Both The Orville and USS Calister have retained that quality.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote