Thread: 1000M Hub 4 / Telephone
View Single Post
Old 30-01-2020, 17:21   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Hub 4 / Telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
What would be the advantage of a hub based phone ? Seems to me best to keep the phone separate in case the hub goes down - not great in an emergency.
There isn't really an advantage of one over the other as such at present

However for full FTTP addresses it's the only way to get a fixed line as there is no metal cable to the address, and even in some HFC areas new connections are only now cabled with coax rather than the twin coax and telco cable.

The key long term advantage is that it will allow Virgin to offer better services on the Hub based lines - some of the kit running the existing telco network is many many years old and can't be updated to new features and services.

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Or if the Internet goes down
The Hub based phone lines are on separate network with in the Hub. So it will be possible for there to be a Virgin Fibre fault that doesn't affect the phone line or vice versa.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That's when your mobile phone comes in handy...
And for anyone that doesn't have one, Virgin will currently provide an emergency backup unit that will allow a call to 999 from a connected wired landline handset.