View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 23:40   #6350
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPhormula View Post
Agreed there are problems with TOR.

but... with regard to your later comments.

It sounds like running for the hills the way you describe it. Laws can be broken, 128bit encryption cannot. Phorm is a wake up call and you are fighting to slow them down (and I sincerely wish you the best of luck) but those sneaky parasites will never stop exploiting this open system. Look what Mark Klein uncovered at AT&T if you don't believe they will break the law. What happens when you throw the law in their face and take them to court, they lie, they get away with it on a technicality, then they modify the law. Encryption will STOP them dead, and when they outlaw encryption we will resort to encrypted steganography.

It's not turning our backs on the problem it's finding ways to guarantee the communications have not been intercepted and looked at by unwanted parties. Even if you managed to get privacy laws to stop Phorm I doubt it will stop some devious entity out there from exploiting this open system.
Firstly Tor is not secure, a proven fact that has been reported on several times.

Secondly even if it was secure, it doesn't fix the problem. Sure you can go and use Tor and your surfing will be "safer" and maybe 0.01% of the UK broadband population who are tech savvy enough to know about Tor might be too. But what about the millions of others out there, are we to just forget about them and only look after our own interests? And of course if a significant number of people start using Tor, how long do you think it will be until commercial organisations start setting up Tor exit nodes and harvest everything going through it in pretty much the same way Phorm are doing right now? It simply offsets the problems for a little, and it certainly isn't a wakeup call.

That isn't what I am about, my ISP won't be using Phorm or similar technologies so I have no personal threats to my privacy from Phorm, my involvement in this entire issue is to try and help to protect the 10s of millions who are not so lucky, not so technically minded and not so aware of the issues.

Alexander Hanff