Thread: General Changes to Virgin TV (2020)
View Single Post
Old 29-12-2019, 11:39   #18
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
New episodes of Law & Order:SVU are already on Sky Witness, Chicago Med is moving there too. I have no idea about the rest.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Though in the most I agree, and I usually don't watch linear live, it sometimes makes little difference. Aside from watching any time you feel like, the other main reason for watching on-demand shows is no advertising breaks.

The problem there is many on-demand services still have adverts and they are unusually unskippable, so at least linear channels you can record them and high speed fast-forward them. On-demand on VM often has ads and there is only one speed to the fast-forward, and sometimes the playback crashes and you have to start again.

So if the on-demand option available has ads, there's one less advantage so live watching. So impatient people will just watch live.

If it were me I'd record the linear broacast, and start watching it once it's recorded enough to skip ads without catching up. I sometimes even do it with live sport, if it's on an ad-channel.
I find it frustrating to watch the ITV Hub, All4 and My5 due to the ads, and that is why the only streaming services we watch are Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC i-Player, Now TV and Apple+.

All the other programmes we watch are recorded. So therefore, we do not encounter the kind of problems you find with ad-supported streaming.

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Which brings me back to the glorious question what goes streaming bring to the table that a PVR doesn't?
If you watch programmes from a non-ad supported streaming service, there are two advantages over the PVR. Firstly, you have a huge wealth of programmes to choose from, whereas your PVR has limited disk space. Secondly, although you can fast forward through the advertisements with programmes recorded from the commercial channels, you don't even have to do that with SVOD or the i-Player. Just press play and no further interventions are necessary.

The only issue I have with VOD is the fact that programmes can be withdrawn before you have the chance to watch them. This is a particular problem with Now TV.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote