Thread: General Changes to Virgin TV (2020)
View Single Post
Old 30-09-2020, 09:36   #1226
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
BBC Three was axe to make way for £80m to move to BBC One to make new Drama shows.

I feel with the BBC looking for cuts all the time they need to do the following: (My own views)

-Axe BBC Radio 4 LW.
-All BBC local English Radio Channels cut down to just local news and Sports and rebrand as BBC Radio England.
-CBBC and CBeebies become one and broadcasts from 6am to midnight.
-BBC Red Button, BBC Three and BBC Four become an all day BBC Three Channel from 6am until about 3am.
£80m to my recollection was the entire BBC3 budget, they only saved about £50m closing the broadcast side. The saving wasn't all reinvested, and it mostly simply prevented cuts to other services.

I agree with what BenMcr said re: local radio.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Radio Scotland MW too, since you mentioned R4LW. Same reasoning, virtually a duplicate most of the time.

Part of the reason for the success of CBeebies, aside from the programme quality, is that parents feel comfortable plonking their kids in front of the screen and not having to worry about the content changing to something inappropriate. If they merged CBBC content in, they would have worry about it.

Also the demographic of CBBC tends to think of themselves as grown-up and has increasingly moved to watching adult entertainment programming, more E4 or BBC3 type material, over the years since we all moved from only having 4 channels. They'd be much more likely to watch normal adult entertainment after 7pm. That's presumably why they chose to have the kids channels end at 7pm and BBC3&4 start when they launched in the first place.

There's barely enough programming to fill BBC1&2 daytime, why would they want a 3rd general adult channel daytime schedule to fill?

And the virtually the whole point of the Red Button stream these days is to help with event programming that won't fit on a schedule, merging it would defeat the point of it. The Red Button broadcast stream will eventually disappear anyway as the Connected Internet Service becomes the normal.

In theory BBC3 SD could return 24/7 on Freeview as the space BBC Scotland SD channel uses on Freeview isn't used outside of Scotland. In practice it won't be considered as they can't have major regional provision differences for national services and need to be platform neutral.

----

Back on topic. The new ITV HD subregions that are apparently testing on Satellite are likely to be enough to mean ITV HD can move to 103 on VM. Which means 113 will become available everywhere.

Presumably this will help with S4C, BBC Scotland (outside Scotland) and BBC Alba needing to be within the Top24 EPG places as required by OFCOM by January.

I found out last night BBC Alba is moving on Sky tomorrow and will then fulfill this requirement, so presumably VM will have to make changes to fulfill this fairly soon.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote