View Single Post
Old 22-12-2019, 19:19   #1197
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Despite your protestations to the contrary, it is quite obvious that you really don’t understand that delivering television entirely over IP does not in any way necessitate an end to broadcast scheduling and a switch to VOD.

This is what Jfman and I keep telling you. IP is just another way of delivering television. The means of transmitting the signal does not mandate an end to a linear stream. The main public service channels all stream their linear schedules via their IP based services, despite not doing so when the earliest versions of those services launched. A great deal of technical research and development has been expended in making HD streaming of the broadcast schedule available, as close to real-time as possible. A lot of work has also gone into resolving rights issues that previously prevented IP delivery (in a pure catch-up service this was resolved by simply omitting programmes from the menu where internet delivery rights hadn’t been secured).

All the evidence is that the major TV channels continue to see a place for their linear schedules even when offered directly alongside their VOD menu.
Chris, I understand what you are saying perfectly well. Now TV and Pluto TV carry linear channels this way. What I am saying is that linear channels will become much less popular with time and that broadcasters will conclude that there is no point in continuing with them as programmes are far more accessible on demand. When all broadcasting goes to IPTV, the natural conclusion broadcasters are likely to make is that this is the appropriate time to change for the future.

As anyone who has had to change over from manual systems to computer systems knows, you don't try to replicate how your existing systems operate on your new software. You look for more efficient ways of inputting and accessing your information.

Similarly, when DTT and satellite become a thing of the past, the broadcasting industry will be looking for the most appropriate means of making their content available, and I doubt whether scheduled linear channels such as Sky One will be on offer. Instead, the content would be displayed more in line with the BBC i-Player, Netflix and Now TV. And yes, I do acknowledge that Now TV also carries scheduled linear channels at present.

I agree that it is perfectly possible to display TV channels on IPTV, I have never said otherwise. However, this will be seen as a very antiquated way to present content on IPTV. Why would they wish to do that?

For those too lazy to actually select anything for themselves, I would wager that companies such as Virgin Media would offer a service which learns what you like to watch and then just adds programmes from streamers to which you are subscribed (or are free) on a personalised channel that just starts playing when you access it.