View Single Post
Old 22-12-2019, 18:24   #1195
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Hello Old Boy,

My opinion on this remains the same as I've said before and as people choose streaming services over traditional pay tv, many linear channels will close.

However, in many regards, I see tv of tomorrow looking very much as it did thirty years ago with there remaining a core group of linear channels acting as shop windows into their respective streaming services.

Until true intelligent tv comes along (some way off) many people do not want to wade through endless menus or have to "think" about what they want to watch after a long day and a core group of linear channels which are broad in nature, as our main channels used to be, with a varied selection of programming, will dominate I believe. Having wall-to-wall reality crap and celebrity chefs will become a thing of the past as those channels with poor quality content close.

Don't be surprised within five years to find a Netflix One channel, (perhaps a Netflix Kids channel, or Netflix Crime channel etc) which shows the best of what's on offer on Netflix's streaming service. And if people want to break away from the linear schedule and binge watch a certain show, rather than waiting for the next episode to appear in the linear schedule, they've only got to enter the streaming service to do it. Ie Press the red button to binge watch the whole season of a show you're currently watching.

Who runs these linear channels in the future though, I think is very much up for debate and all depends on which streaming services survive over the next ten years or so. I believe Disney and Netflix will survive, not sure on the others yet and I believe ultimately our own UK broadcasters may well collapse.
Hi, Horizon; sorry I did not respond before now.

I guess this could all play out in a number of ways, but I cannot help thinking that the conventional TV channels will lose their appeal over time, and when DTT and satellite transmissions are switched off, we will all be viewing over the internet.

If scheduled channels have not already disappeared before, this will be the point at which the remaining ones will close down. That doesn't necessarily mean there will be no Sky, Discovery, BBC or ITV content of course - as jfman is fond of pointing out, it will simply be a different way of broadcasting. However, the viewer experience will be quite different, because access to this content will be via SVOD and AVOD streamers.

https://www.csimagazine.com/csi/Tren...and-adtech.php

I understand your point about some viewers just wanting to sit back and watch what's showing at the time, but in the future, this will be more personalised content rather than TV programmes for all put together by human schedulers. I believe that this is the way Roku may be going and I think it will be popular.

I would not rule out some showcase channels popping up before everything goes IPTV, but I doubt they would survive once that switchover happens.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 22-12-2019 at 19:01.