View Single Post
Old 26-06-2019, 10:09   #5224
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Toy Story 4 - 9/10.

I thought it was great. I also thought it was pretty funny but it's been a while since I saw previous instalments so I don't know if it's as funny. The 'Plush Rush' stuff was amazing though.

Rocketman 8/10

I thought this was unexpectedly quite good. More cohesive than Bohemian Rhapsody and also with a better use of the music. I thought Taron Egerton was better as Elton John that Rami Malek was as Freddie Mercury, with the latter it always seemed like someone doing a good impression of Mercury but with Egerton I sort of forgot it's a performance.
I loved Toy Story. I like or love all of the Pixar films. I like the way they take some quite adult concepts (for me, the Toy Story films have always been about friendship, and how it changes as people's lives change) and explain them in a way that is easy to understand for kids, and relatable for adults, and they manage to do so in an entertaining (if sometimes sentimental) way.

I also agree about Rocketman. I went to see it out of curiosity. Not really expecting to like it much (not a massive fan of Musicals in film, they tend to feel like the music is forced into the story). It was a film I probably wouldn't have bothered with had I not had an Unlimited card and had to pay for the ticket.

I enjoyed it. Yes, it was unashamedly a musical, but even the way that was done work. Yes it had the big dance numbers, but they worked well. I like the way it didn't seem to pull any punches regarding either Elton's sexuality or substance abuse.

I love Bohemian Rhapsody, but I felt that was more a celebration of the music, and that the life story of Freddie was glossed over a little bit. Particularly the substance abuse (which was barely mentioned). Remember, Kenny Everett described Freddie Mercury as a man who burned the candle at both ends, and in the middle. You don't get to party to the extent without taking a ton of (probably illegal) drugs.

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum: 8/10

These films just get better and better. Fantastic action scenes, new creative ways on how to kill and the world expands with many new characters and new locations. Really really enjoyable and they are obviously planning for a fourth.

If you enjoyed 1 and 2 this is a must see.
As with Rocketman, above, I went to see John Wick because I had an Unlimited card, and had a couple of hours spare, so I popped into the nearest cinema and watched it. I probably wouldn't have bothered had I had to pay for the ticket (I know I do via the fee for the Unlimited card, but I'd paid that anyway). I saw John Wick 2. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although there was a lot I didn't understand, not having seen the first one. I have since seen all three, and I think style wise they are very reminiscent of the original Robocop, and Total Recall. In fact, I think had Paul Verhoeven carried on making that style of film until today, what he produced today would likely be very much like the John Wick series of films. Maybe more satirical, but similar.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote