View Single Post
Old 25-10-2019, 11:36   #6223
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
People who don't do their jobs. I've been fielding complaints from users, directed at me personally because I manage the system we use to deploy software. In this case, they have requested new software, but I can't deploy it because this person (who is the first person to throw me under the bus given half the chance) hasn't told me hasn't told me he has created a deployment for the software, tested it, or given me access to it. Unfortunately, I can't do much because he outranks me (he is on a different team, but is at the same level as my boss). He is apparently ignoring my boss.
<snip>
We use a product from a vendor that comprises the product and a number of frameworks the product runs on. All products are from the same vendor but are dealt with by different teams.

We have an issue with what we see in our product but is actually caused by one of the frameworks. We can't raise a ticket just to the product team, it needs to be raised with the framework team (sort of fair enough) but they then want us to do all sorts for "frameworky" stuff that we really don't have the skills to do, and anyway we bought the product, we should be able to report to the product team and they liase internally with framework folk.

Image you had a fault with a laptop and the laptop team (or you) worked out it was an issue with the power supply but instead of just sending a new PSU you had to open a new ticket with the PSU team who wanted you to do all sorts of engineering tests first.

The related issue is with updates. The product team mandate versions of the framework that can be used with versions of the product, when they update the product there maybe update with framework but do they package the lot together or even allow the installer to choose? And then our security folk say version of framework is unsafe so upgrade it but the new version of the framework isn't supported by the product.