View Single Post
Old 24-07-2018, 11:50   #297
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: VM loses UKTV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Be honest you haven't a clue who pays what so no point speculating.
It's not speculation. Every other platform gets paid for carrying channels, but for some strange reason, this is not the case for VM (except the shopping channels, I believe). As UKTV don't pay other platforms for carrying their free channels, why should VM subscribers pay for mostly repeated content funded by advertising?

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
Haha! You don't see the point in UKTV's highest rating channel?! Good job that you don't work in broadcasting!

There is nothing wrong with UKTV's strategy of 5 free and 5 pay channels, but they do need to refine the remits and tone down the content sharing.
VM should not be paying for free channels. This practice is a hangover from the past.

A bit like the UKTV channels, actually.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot12 View Post
I agree.

I think in general more people are up in arms about this than they were when the Sky Basics went I don't think Sky One for example, was as good back then as it is now. VM have underestimated the power of Only Fools & Horses repeats never a wise thing to do, Trigger has more Brains than VM.
Not sure if your memory is failing you, but those were the days when Sky did have good programmes on it. In fact, the main draw of people to the pay tv channels was Sky TV.

UKTV has nowhere near as much clout and they will lose this fight. The sooner they realise that and climb down from their high horses, the sooner they will bleed less money.

They had better move fast, or Virgin will be reinvesting their money, hopefully in superior content.

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
This is terrible publicity for Virgin and it will surely hit them very hard. Would be customers will now be thinking twice about signing up to them. The UK TV channels are very popular and much loved by many people including myself. I'm so glad I'm with Sky and certainly wouldn't even consider switching to Virgin now.
They will get over it. And if you think you are safe with Sky, remember that they almost lost the Discovery channels a few months ago.

Fortunately, Discovery saw sense. UKTV are trying it on. The people complaining are simply dragging this dispute out. If they quietened down, UKTV would be forced to re-consider. I am not expecting VM to give in over this, so the ball is in UKTV's court. Are they going to continue to discriminate against VM by making them pay for their free channels when other platforms get them free, or not?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote