View Single Post
Old 25-01-2023, 10:12   #1
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
AM Radio fading into history

A significant point has now been reached in the “passing” of AM radio, as Bauer have now given up Absolute Radio’s national AM licence. This means the 1215Khz (247 metres) frequency that originally bought BBC Radio 1 into our homes & cars will fall silent for the last time.

AM listening now only accounts for 2% of listeners, with most BBC local radio closed on AM, & former ILR AM frequencies dwindling.

I still have a well used AM radio in the car. It’s permanently tuned to Radio Caroline, which, while miles away from their Orfordness AM transmitter still gives reasonable reception here in Hertfordshire. I suppose you could call this a “heritage” service by them now, as to me all the crackling & hissing of weak AM radio is something that has always been associated with listening to the early pirate stations.

Last edited by nodrogd; 25-01-2023 at 10:25.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote