Thread: UK Timeline Doctor Who : Season 6
View Single Post
Old 26-12-2010, 04:22   #18
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Re: Doctor Who : Season 6

Unless there is a significant change in the writing and acting I can see the next season of Dr Who being the last. It used to be the sets were cardboard and the acting made up for it, now the acting is cardboard and the sets make up for it. The story today was bland and the acting mediocre. Thing is, I have yet to see Matt Smith really OWN the role. This today in no way was helped by the storyline. I'm sure Smith is a fine actor, but he just doesn't seem to fit the role, there's something lacking. Moffat has written some EXCELLENT episodes in the past (Empty Child, Girl in the fireplace, Silence in the library) but since being in control of the show - nothing on a par with them.

I've watched episodes of Dr Who featuring all the Actors, despite the show being 10 years old when I was born, I grew up in the Tom Baker era but have seen every episode I can find with earlier Doctors, and all have established themselves in the first episodes of the first season, something Matt Smith has not yet done. (Even Sylvester McCoy battling murderous Bertie Bassets) It could be that the script writers haven't given him the opportunity but it just seems he hasn't / can't settle into the role. We're a season into smith and he just doesn't bring the dynamic to the role. I had the same misgivings about Chris Ecclestone, but by the end of 'Rose' he'd established himself, Same for David Tennant - but by the end of 'Smith and Jones' he'd established himself. I'm a sci fi addict and proud of it, but the shows that don't draw me in seem to get cancelled a lot, I never got into Caprica - cancelled, Stargate Universe bored me - It wasn't just the 'oh we have 8 hours to find food' type storylines, there was no real antagonist (SG1 had the Goa'uld and the Ori, Atlantis had the Wraith), nothing that could draw the audience into supporting the main cast for - show cancelled. I'm getting those same 'meh' feelings for Doctor Who, and if they can't get the show moving I can see viewing figures dropping and the BBC deciding it's not cost effective to keep running.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote