Thread: US Timeline TV Schedule - Summer 2020
View Single Post
Old 17-09-2019, 12:17   #36
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: TV Schedule - Fall 2019/2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Is it that bad?
The Guardian's review
Quote:
To answer the two questions you’ll be asking about 20 minutes into Netflix’s new castaway thriller The I-Land:

1) They tell you how the 10 strangers with wiped memories came to wake up simultaneously on a desert island at the start of episode three, so skip there if you just want to know before you quit;

2) No, this isn’t some deadpan spoof of bad sci-fi, with the lumpen writing, catatonic acting and thuddingly inelegant plotting there to make a postmodern point. It’s really as bad as it initially seems.

Well, almost. Once The I-Land does reveal its hand – basically it’s Lost meets The Matrix, although there’s a lot less to it than that – it improves purely by dint of making us wonder what handbrake turn into a new field of randomness it’ll perform next. Moreover, nothing can be as poor as the bewilderingly disastrous opening episodes.
Hollywood Reporter
Quote:
Because I made it through the first 10 minutes of Netflix's new limited series The I-Land, I endeavored to make it through the first episode. Because I made it through the first episode, I endeavored to make it through all seven episodes. Because I made it through all seven episodes, I'm writing a review of The I-Land. To paraphrase J. Robert Oppenheimer paraphrasing the Bhagavad Gita: Now I am become the sunk cost fallacy, the destroyer of free time. Eventually I'm going to have to write a book about The I-Land.

And I would write that book, too! Netflix's The I-Land is awful, but it's the kind of awful that leaves me with questions at every turn. No aspect of The I-Land works and every bad aspect builds on the bad aspects before in a way that makes it pretty clear that nobody involved could have been under any misapprehensions about the quality of the endeavor.
Roger Ebert
Quote:
The ‘I’ stands for Idiotic. If you put a group of teenagers in a room and showed them a few episodes of “LOST” and “Westworld” before asking them to write their own program, they might come up with “The I-Land,” a new Netflix series written and produced by Neil LaBute. It is a bafflingly horrible sci-fi show, the kind of project that leaves your jaw on the floor, not unlike the first time you saw Tommy Wiseau’s “The Room.” It’s only enjoyable at all in that transcendent way that truly horrible things can be enjoyable. The dialogue is stilted to the point that one wonders if it wasn’t run through Google Translate, the characters are as shallow as a parking lot puddle, and even the production values are shocking in their ineptitude. Some talented people got caught up in this flaming disaster of a program, and it’s downright sad to watch a couple of them struggle, but the whole thing starts to feel like the product of a lost bet.
Well, that's saved me some time this week...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote