View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 13:53   #206
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: North Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
How predictable , that I would expect you to come up with this that no other President would meet with Kim Jong Un, give him what he wants, it’s as if you have been watching low ratings & Fake News CNN. Because they’ve been saying the same nonsense.
Meeting with the President is itself seen as a mark of respect. If you're a hostile nation, i.e Iran, you generally have to make some concession or progress to be granted it.

Obama was cautious with meeting the President of Iran for example. There were backchannel meetings with less senior members of the administrations and eventually a phone call. All whilst the Iranian deal slowly became more likely. He didn't sit down with the President from the get-go. That's what Hugh is getting at.

Quote:
It is time to sit down and try resolve this, face to face if necessary or are you saying let’s carry on with how it is now, because you cannot possibly accept that Trump would go down in History has one of the most successful Presidents of all time, for heralding a massive peace keeping treaty and finally securing the safety of the Korean Peninsula?
Yes but I think Trump should ensure they get something first. The worst case scenario is the meeting happens and Kim Jong-un gets footage if it happening, internal NK broadcasts boast of the historical mark of respect by the 'evil Americans', and no concessions are made.

It's also worth noting that these deals have happened before and fallen though because you cannot trust North Korea. Clinton hasn't gone down in history as one of the most successful Presidents of all time for that because he gave them too much credit. As have South Korea. Under the last leadership it was common for NK to show a willingness to talk and deal before accepting aid and then going back to their old ways.

I agree that if Trump manages to get NK to de-arm and become a greater part of the world then that would be a historical achievement, easily the most successful of his Presidency irrespective of what he then does, but I don't trust NK at all.

Last edited by Damien; 12-03-2018 at 14:09.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote