View Single Post
Old 25-03-2018, 07:27   #21
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Re: RIP Stephen Hawking

I'll always remember him most fondly from his appearance on ST: TNG (Descent part 1, the last ep of season 6):

HAWKING: But then I said, "In that frame of reference, the perihelion of Mercury would have precessed in the opposite direction".
EINSTEIN: (laughing) That is a great story!
DATA: Quite amusing, Doctor Hawking. You see, Sir Isaac, the joke depends on an understanding of the relativistic curvature of space-time. If two non-inertial reference frames are in relative motion -
NEWTON: Do not patronise me, sir. I invented physics. The day that apple fell on my head was the most momentous day in the history of science.
HAWKING: Not the apple story again.
DATA: That story is generally considered to be apocryphal.
NEWTON: What? How dare you!
EINSTEIN: Perhaps we should return to the game. Let's see, where were we? Yes, you raised Mister Data four, which means that the bet is, er, seven to me?
NEWTON: The bet is ten! Can't you do simple arithmetic? I don't even know why I'm here in the first place. What is the point of playing this ridiculous game?
DATA: When I play poker with my shipmates, it often appears to be a useful forum for exploring the different facets of humanity. I was curious to see how three of history's greatest minds would interact in this setting. So far, it has proved most illuminating.
EINSTEIN: And profitable.
NEWTON: Can we get this over with, please? It's your bet.
HAWKING: I raise fifty.
NEWTON: Blast! I fold.
DATA: I fold as well.
EINSTEIN: The uncertainty principle will not help you now, Stephen. All the quantum fluctuations in the universe will not change the cards in your hand. I call. You are bluffing and you will lose.
HAWKING: Wrong again, Albert.
(Hawking has four sevens and a king)