View Single Post
Old 22-03-2018, 10:01   #125
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New VM Business service - 350Mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsn View Post
Have they sorted out the packet fragmentation yet?

About a year ago I discovered that that MTU on VM Business is 1300 when using static IP with the Hitron.

Now that in itself might be OK and any packets larger than this with the DF (don't fragment) bit set result in an ICMP "Fragmentation Needed but DF is set" error.

The real problem is that it appears the Hitron silently discards packets larger than 1300 bytes when the DF bit is not set.

The only "solution" I was offered was switching to dynamic IP, which I did. But then port forwarding doesn't work and they were not able to fix that.

This was a year ago. Are things any better now?
Pretty much nothing has changed in that aspect. The firmware they are testing for the static IP has minor improvements for some people but it seems to depend on your location and what GRE Tunnel you are on.

As for the SH3 the general BQM issue they are releasing a firmware that makes the BQM look nice and pretty but doesn't actually fix the latency spiking issue.

I've had to go through a formal complaint to get out of the 12month contract with VM Business as static can't perform more than 20mbit's for me at most times and dynamic really isn't an option.

I still find it puzzling that they are still selling this Static IP GRE Tunnel product which is not fit for purpose..

I now have 2 VDSL lines one with Uno and one with AAISP incase of a failure.

Probably look into geting a router that can load balance to multi threaded downloads can reach the 160Mbit.
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote