View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 10:47   #4889
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
1) It's special enough to be singled out by a policy journalist. Where else in Engand is it happening?
2) I'm providing this as an example of how outbreaks might be managed less bluntly. I find it quite encouraging.
3) People may well have been behaving themselves but if they use or work on public transport, hospitals, shops, libraries, restaurants, bars etc then there is a chance of infection. We shouldn't automatically blame the victim, although when we see pictures of people flocking to the seaside, etc and not social distancing our unconscious bias means it's natural to do so.

---------- Post added at 09:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

That's hugely disappointing. It's hard to comment without knowing what the unexpected delays are though.
But they ARE being criticised for going to the beach etc. The key difference is that I'm not aware of any evidence that it has lead to any town/city wide lockdowns. Another huge key difference is the level of interaction between groups.

Many areas have their own walk-in testing setups. The care homes can use that.

---------- Post added at 10:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
At last - a more sensible approach to apply instead of total lockdown. The PM appears to have listened to my advice!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...-new-lockdown/

Boris Johnson has asked officials to prepare a suite of possible measures that could help avoid shutting down the economy for a second time, after he said that he wanted to avoid another lockdown.

The options include a programme of "enhanced" or "differential" shielding, as part of which vulnerable people would be asked to remain at home while the rest of the population continued to move around freely. One proposal is for the shielded group to be allocated specific times of the week to have exclusive access to some services and shops.
How would that make a difference? There would still be an intermingling between those separate groups at one stage or another.