Thread: US Timeline Star Trek: Discovery
View Single Post
Old 27-02-2019, 17:25   #325
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
And since the show is now being run by people who actually understand what Star Trek is, I tend to put any glaring nonsense down to stuff bequeathed them by Fuller etc. which they’re still forced to work with.
I have to admit, while I like most of the characters in Discovery season 1, season 1 didn't feel much like Star Trek to me. They changed too much, particularly the Spore drive and the bald Klingons. The Spore drive would have been believable if, rather than pointing out how much faster it is than Warp, they explained why, in the existing series (TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager anyway), Starfleet would go back to the apparently inferior Warp technology.

it also lost the sense of fun that all the previous Star Trek series had.

Season 2 has bought the fun back, and at least attempted to explain why the spore drive isn't used in other series.

I am thankful, however, for Series 1 being the way it was. I enjoyed it, but had it had more of a sense of fun, I might not have looked at Seth McFarlane's series "The Orville", which I am thoroughly enjoying.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote