View Single Post
Old 25-02-2008, 14:58   #216
melevittfl
Inactive

melevittfl has a spectacular aura about themmelevittfl has a spectacular aura about themmelevittfl has a spectacular aura about themmelevittfl has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal [Updated: See Post No. 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersamson View Post
There will be a link to phorm to opt out completely and they will ask you to visit it on all devices that can access the internet so one users data doesn't cross over. There will be another link to contact a customer service operative for larger organisations on a case by case basis where they will block an IP from all adverts that are remote third party risky, but push through those from respected advertisers without using keywords, so a safe advert policy. Along with a requirement to renew this every 6 months say on a rolling basis.
The issue is not about blocking the ads from getting through. The issue is them storing and collecting the surfing data in the first place.

And, I don't see why I should have to deal with Phorm. I am not a customer of Phorm, I don't have any relationship or contract with them.

It seems like Virgin Media are going to collect and send the data to Phorm regardless, but you'll be able to ask them not to target ads at you. That's not good enough.

The trail of URLs I visit in a day are easily analysed to determine my identity. This has already happened to AOL customers when AOL leaked their search queries.

It is up to Virgin Media to allow people to opt-in to this system, and, if they don't, to not collect the data in the first place.