View Single Post
Old 21-02-2008, 22:34   #175
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer
Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal [Updated: See Post No. 77 & 102]

The question is how do you get the cookie? As far as I know you can't get a cookie without visiting a website (though I may be wrong). I take it that phorm have some software which wil have to sit on virgins network and monitor data but I don't know how this will work - if it's just monitoring data how does it manage to examine your cookie? Does it just do it for web sites that are signed up for it's services? That would work, so it would not know about sites you visit that haven't signed up for it's services so it wouldn't work for everyone anyway.

And how much of our precious bandwidth will be used sending all this data all over the place?

Ooh, just had a thought, you could have real fun deliberatly opting in and then editing the cookie on a random basis.........

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

@ Rob

It's not purely cookie based there has to be something VMs side too but the cookie is the identifier so no cookie = opt out cookie but in my opinion easier to implement. How it actually works we are unlikely to know until someone reverse engineers it.