View Single Post
Old 21-02-2008, 21:12   #172
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal [Updated: See Post No. 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
However VM will still be sending the information to this Spyware company. the cookie if i read it correctly only stops you seeing the end resulting ad's

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

I intend to do just that should this Spyware be used.
I've just downloaded and started to read the Enst & Young audit on Phorm's process, and it states; "We offer an easy, anonymous method for users to opt out of Phorm's systems if they would rather not receive targeted advertising and content. For as long as a user retains the Phorm opt-out cookie, the system will not collect or store data on their browsing behaviour." (my bold highlighting) Their claim appears to be that if we opt out, then they will not collect any data even though VM may well still be sending it to them. How much do we trust them on this? Not much at all would be my answer...before this system is initiated, VM must tell all of it's customers exactly how this works: If a customer has opted-out, what information (if any) is still sent by them to Phorm, and what information (if any) is still collected, stored and analysed by Phorm, regardless of whether "web security" or advertisements are provided to that customer or not.