View Single Post
Old 24-07-2008, 16:59   #12644
rryles
Inactive

rryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Peter,

I think there are two prongs to the anti phorm campaign.

One is to inPhorm people (public, politicians and officials).

Another is technical. This includes verifying how the system works, gathering evidence and developing countermeasures. A lot of this is going to be hypothetical at the moment as webwise is not operating. We might as well be prepared though.

I'm going to risk upsetting some people here but please bear with me here. I don't think this thread is the best place to inPhorm people. Discuss methods of inPhorming poeple yes, actually do it no - this is not the best communication channel. Pointing people towards something more static like the inphormation desk is going to be much easier for them to digest.

The traces posted so far have not in my opinion suggested that phorm/webwise is present. (Not with any certainty anyway). However I've not seen anyone post a tcptraceroute result yet. That might show something else.

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicz View Post
I think this remains a useful tool in the arsenal, if not foolproof, UW CSE and ICSI Web Integrity Checker http://vancouver.cs.washington.edu/
Yup, useful to have, but not a silver bullet.