View Single Post
Old 16-09-2019, 20:51   #54
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Brexit Development(s) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It might be. If the EU is going to agree to it, it quite possibly has to be. But I suspect anyone seen voting down any deal Boris puts to Parliament - any deal at all - is at risk of electoral evisceration. Will the electorate really listen patiently to earnestly delivered excuses about how bad this Brexit would be for Britain, or faux-outraged demands that Boris has to go back to Brussels and bring home an altogether different Brexit? Would the irresistible cry not then be, “well, if you think you can do better, agree to an election and campaign for the right to try”?

Much does perhaps hang on what strategy No.10 has for dealing with the Benn Act, but if they have something even plausible, or if Boris comes back from Brussels with a deal (even May 2.0), then I think Corbyn is totally boxed in.
I think everyone is boxed in really. In the aftermath of the referendum we collectively chose a direction that sent both sides down an increasing narrowing path to this point.

We're all wondering what Dominic Cummings' cunning plan is with proroguing Parliament is but it's more likely than not that No 10 felt this was the best choice of a narrow set of options none of which were that good. Likewise Parliament probably didn't want to pass the Benn act, they've resisted working all together so far, but then felt they had to act and now Johnson is faced with an even narrower set of options.

And so it may well come down to a deal which everyone hates but feel compelled to pass. Boris Johnson isn't exactly going to be relishing passing a reheated version of May's deal either. Does it work for him in an election? Farage will scream betrayal and will be after the Tories, the ERG may seek to cause problems to prove their 'true' Brexiter credentials ahead of a possible leadership contest and Remain-minded voters hate him either way.

Long story short: For all the plans and tricks up everyone's sleeves I sort of feel events have got ahead of them all anyway.