View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 22:52   #1538
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What a load of twaddle - as I said, you just try to discredit everything people say on here and every link they provide.

I guess we are just going to have to accept that you know better than everyone else, regardless of any evidence to the contrary.

Yes, well dream on.
I don't know why you have decided to personalise it Old Boy. I'm not asking anyone to accept I know better than everyone else.

I think that I've a fairly uncontroversial opinion in this thread and that if you were to canvas wider opinion you'd maybe find that to be the case.

There's no evidence in that blog, or anywhere else, that indicates that 5G will be any sort of game changer in eliminating digital terrestrial television.

The first real consideration is coverage. DTT has 98% coverage. After a £1 billion of investment 4G will only hit 95% in 2025 with the least commercially viable rural areas left outside that. A 4G transmitter will have a range of about 2-3 miles in each direction.

On top of that the highest bandwidth 5G will be short range transmitters on lamp posts, buildings, bus stops. Nobody is going to deploy that much infrastructure in commercially unviable rural areas (plus the associated backhaul) to chase your 2035 pipe dream through 5G coverage.

People with industry experience would know this, of course. Your average blogger, maybe not so much. Although in fairness to the most recent blogger I think, possibly, if you asked him, maybe he would never have intended it to be used to make the point that you proposed it did.