View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 08:37   #38
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: BBC to scrap free licence fee for over-75s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I am not sure they necessarily would. Especially since these organisations are primarily US-based. I think some might be made, especially from already established creators, but to commission a TV show based on a one-woman show from the Soho theatre as was the case with Fleabag? I am not convinced.

Netflix are making Black Mirror but that was originally on Channel 4 and Charlie Brooker had gone though the BBC treadmill before that.

Britain has quite a lot of talented writers, actors and directors working in Hollywood. We're overrepresented there. So many top films and TV shows have some British talent behind them. However so many of those people got their start on the BBC and/or the National Theatre, two organisations backed up by the state to find and nurture British work.

If these things went away then Sky would fill some of the void but commercial concerns would favor importing mass-market American TV shows where one show can appeal to North America and Britain rather than risk any specific British-targeted TV audience whose reach would be limited. The BBC doesn't have to worry about that. I also think the existence of the BBC and it spitting out programs like Fleabag makes Britain a harder market for North American companies to break into and as a result it forces them to up their game.

That may not be an argument to keep the BBC of course, some might say it's not the taxpayers' job to promote and find British artists, but I think it's wrong to suggest we wouldn't lose something as a result.