View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 14:11   #1105
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Do you mean like all those other businesses that furloughed staff, and are still in business?

About your second question - my son used to work in hospitality, and a lot of his friends moved on to other jobs (in shops, offices, delivery drivers for supermarkets, etc.), and found they liked not being on zero hours contracts, working 9-5, knowing what your working hours were more than a week in advance, and have decided to stay out of hospitality.
Ironically, it was Tim Martin who suggested such workers get a job at Tesco whilst hospitality was closed. I don't disagree with his logic, though some have indeed found the grass is greener in retail and distribution compared to hospitality.

In terms of foreign hospitality workers, I think many EU nationals gave up their rented accommodation and returned to their home countries in the same way that Brits working in cities returned to their home towns. Some of these people have returned to UK hospitality but many have not and the sector is under-staffed at the moment.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote