View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 13:49   #1103
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Was it just just coincidence in the past, when the EEC(now EU) took control of fishing waters, just before new countries were looking to join(eg UK, Ireland, Norway) that has large fishing waters.
No, and the rules were clear before any of those countries joined and agreed to the rules.

Norway didn't join because of that. The UK did.
Quote:
UK had an exemption to the Social Chapter, what happened is that the EU forced it upon us anyway via a backdoor method.
The EU is just a big bully.
That's not true, it was a UK decision:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/p.../chapter.shtml
Quote:
On May 5, Foreign Secretary Robin Cook opened a "new chapter in Britain's relations with Europe". He declared: "At today's meeting Britain will take the first step towards signing up to the Social Chapter. We will tell our European partners that we want the rights and benefits of the Social Chapter to extend to the people of Britain."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...06/eu.politics
Quote:
Most specifically, Mr Cameron promised a return to John Major's pledge to pull Britain out of the social chapter on workers' rights across the EU, which guarantees such things as protection for pregnant women and part-time workers.

The Tory leader said: "That's why I do not believe it is appropriate for social and employment legislation to be dealt with at the European level.

"It will be a top priority for the next Conservative government to restore social and employment legislation to national control."

John Major first negotiated a UK-opt out from the social chapter of the Maastricht treaty in 1992. But Labour moved quickly to incorporate it into UK law after coming to power in 1997.