View Single Post
Old 28-02-2019, 13:09   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: First satellites launched for global internet from space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Uploading shouldn't pose a problem. As far as the end user would see it would be no different than uploading from a fixed line.

You can hold a two way communication by sat phone why should it be any different for data?
I wouldn't have thought that to be possible, don't satellite TV channels have to use massive dishes to get their signals to the satellites? Maybe a standard home dish works as the data involved will be so much smaller.

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Satellite broadband has always suffered from high latency, but this new network is in a relatively low orbit so that should improve things somewhat.

Satellite broadband has also suffered from being absurdly expensive. I’m always suspicious when people talk up the benefits of something without mentioning the price. So I suspect they probably haven’t addressed that issue. Even if they’ve brought the cost of the system down, they’re serving a market full of people with no other choice. That’s never a good sign when it comes to value.
True, I always tend to assume that if there's no price on something then it's expensive.

If the price is competitive, it could be a good option for people like yourself who live in rural areas.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote