View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 20:45   #905
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I'm asking them not to process my data in any way that isn't required for providing my service. In doing this I'm asking them not to pass any info about my account to phorm - that's any info, not just personally identifiable info.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts1998...029_en_10#sch2
The DPA is about "personally identifiable" data, not "data ... that isn't required for providing my service". Someone suggested that an IP address might be construed as "personally identifiable" data, although this doesn't seem to have been tested in the courts. Anyway, the DPA states that such information can be held, but they have to get your permission first - an opt-out would probably fulfil that requirement.

To use an analogy, when you walk into Tesco there is a large monitor showing an image of you walking into the store. You don't have to sign anything to give Tesco permission to record this personally identifiable information (a picture of your face). You can opt-out by leaving the store.

Good link to the DPA, by the way.