View Single Post
Old 21-03-2018, 12:02   #477
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Crisis in the NHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
God, no!

Good management (imho) is giving direction, letting people get on with doing their jobs (with appropriate oversight and governance), and selling the teams' efforts and successes to the wider organisation, whilst defending them against nay-sayers. Give people the opportunity to succeed, making sure they understand what is expected of them, whilst being available for them to tell you what you need to know.

Micro-management is a productivity and morale-killer, again imho.
While I am still considered a technician at work, I am actually a manager. I remember a few years back one of my first important projects was to get a few members of my team to compile a showreel for the students of one of our digital media courses. Sadly I no longer work with that team, as they transferred to a different campus, but the showreel is still used.

The Prinicipal Lecturer for the course told me what a brilliant job I'd done on the showreel, and I said I got the team to to it. She actually said that it doesn't matter I wasn't directly involved in the creation, as I had been in charge of the team that had done it, assigned the task to them, and ensured they had the right skills and equipment that they could do the task. I had managed them.

I have a different team now, and I feel that my job, as manager, is to do what Hugh said. Sadly, it means I don't get my hands dirty with the technical stuff as much as I did, which is the part I enjoy most, but that seems to be the way things go sometimes.

Regarding the pay rise. It is a good thing, but the government will need to stump up the cash to make it happen. Otherwise they are likely to have to cut things like Jobs and services to pay for it.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote