View Single Post
Old 21-07-2020, 15:29   #7813
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Netflix is undoubtedly the best and is the most popular. The number of new programmes they churn out every week is amazing. I add a new series for me to watch every week or so, which gives me plenty of choice.

Amazon is next, but the stuff on there can be difficult to find unless you know what you are looking for, because the display menu is a bit more limited and so for anything else you need the title to do a search. Some also don't like the fact that not everything is free of extra charge on there, but these are the programmes for which they do not hold the rights. I'm content with that, as sometimes I really want to access a programme and ppv may be the only way of doing that. At least I know where to go to access that.

Currently, I have Apple+ and StarzPlay on trial, but both have a much more limited menu. However, there are some good programmes on them both, which I must make time to view before the trials run out. Not sure whether or not to subscribe, but could be tempted if the new originals start coming through regularly, and provided they are any good.

DPlay does not include the good documentaries available on Discovery (just the low grade stuff) and Disney + is popular with families. Neither, however, are of interest to me.

It will be interesting to see what Peacock will look like when it is launched, and the good news there is that this streamer will have both free and subscription options.

Britbox and Acorn TV are all right if you like archive programmes, but I have no interest in watching programmes more than once. However, if you love the British content, one of these may be for you!

Of all the players, I definitely think the BBC i-Player is way out in front. ITV Hub is poor, All 4 better and My5 is remarkably good for a player. I like the Pluto stuff on there. Pluto itself is a little unusual, with both live and on demand content. I watched two programmes on there at the weekend - one on the Beatles breakup and the other on George Harrison.

So those who baulk at all these different streamers, I would say this. You only have to subscribe to the ones that appeal to you. I am into streaming in a big way, but I am currently only paying for two. In time, I think most streamers will be offering free content with ads as well as a subscription option. I guess most will be happy with that.

I sign off with the caveat regarding sport streamers. I do understand the problems people raise about how expensive these could turn out to be, particularly if there are separate streamers for separate sports. I think that in time, this will sort itself out with consolidation, and Sky is bound to be very involved in sports provision in the future by both satellite and IPTV.

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Youtube premium is finishing so you are going to be reduced to Netflix shortly.
That never really appealed to me, and Facebook Watch is of no interest either.