View Single Post
Old 29-09-2017, 10:14   #477
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Government & Post Election Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
You don't have to convince me about Corbyn, I was banging that drum back when people thought his candidacy was a joke. Now he is a lot closer to No 10 than most of us expected.

But his ascendency is at least in part down the Tories own ineptitude. They played games that came back to haunt them. Drastically cutting benefits for some, freezing public sector pay and doing little to address the cost of living crisis. A lot of the economic growth we did get, which remained sluggish for the last 7 years, has been fuelled by consumer debt as opposed to any great gains to productivity.

And yet despite all that they kept missing their own targets for eliminating the deficit because they weren't able to get the gains in the economy they wanted and weren't actually beyond spending on benefits so long as it was for 'their' voters.

Tuition frees tripled, young people were priced out of the housing market and/or went into less secure work than their parents, people in the public sector effectively saw their pay cut accounting for inflation whereas others struggled.

Corbyn may not have the solution for these, the housing charity Shelter disapprove of rent controls for example, but the Tories didn't offer any for years. Theresa May actually did spot this weakness, even co-opting some of Ed Miliband's ideas about predatory capitalism, but it was too late. That last point also highlights why I think the obsession over party can be unhealthy since she offered ideas deemed insane just twos years before...
So if Corbyn hasn't got the solution for these problems why are people thinking about voting for his party and their totally unrealistic objectives and, frankly, lies? People may not like the status quo, do you imagine I do? Do you imagine I like my son being one of those with a huge student debt and being unable to buy a home? Do you imagine the squeeze on social care and benefits which adversely affects my other son's entire life is a pleasure to me? The thing is that it wouldn't have been any different under Labour because they won't end the fees system they won't build all the cheap housing and they'll destroy the economy making things far far worse in the longer term. I don't know how many more times they have to be given the chance to prove it before people realise they're a busted flush and Corbyn's vision as dictated by the likes of Momentum will lead to a very nasty outcome indeed.

It's all very well getting angry but people have to give proper thought to the ramifications of putting Corbyn's cronies in office. Given the chance they'll destroy our economy and those who've been whining about austerity will get to find out they haven't got a clue how bad real austerity is just like the Greeks have. It's rather revealing that none of those who support the sort of stuff Corbyn is promising ever seem to have anything to say about the likes of Greece. I can't think why can you? It's populist but highly dangerous pie in the sky and when they subsequently come to realise it and demand better they'll find out just how nasty the people they elected are.

Last edited by Osem; 29-09-2017 at 10:23.