Thread: General Windows 10 Desktop WiFi
View Single Post
Old 25-12-2018, 16:35   #3
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Services: Virgin Media Tivo Kahuna Big Bundle, phone and Broadband.
beaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Windows 10 Desktop WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
The short answer is no. I am a bit confused as to what you are trying to achieve or what your current setup is and I have never heard of ethernet USB, they are mutually exclusive types of connectivity, so let me explain things in a more broader sense. Your PC can only be connected to one network at a time and only have one IP address. There are multiple ways of connecting to a network and there are different adaptors so your PC applies metrics to each interface (gives them a score) and the best one wins. As an example, if you were connected to your home network using wifi and then you connected the device (e.g. laptop) to the network using an ethernet cable you would see the laptop drop the wifi connection, switch to the wired connection and get a new IP address.
Generally speaking for you, you should try and keep things as simple as possible and not get your connection settings mixed up. Unless your printer is in the same room as the PC and the PC is the only machine that is going to use it, forget USB, enable wifi and connect the printer to the network. If all of your devices are networked you will find it a lot easier to use them and manage them through the same network settings and options.
Thank you and Merry Christmas to you.
i am sorry for using the term USB, I meant the router Ethernet connection.
My PC and printer are about 5 feet away from each other. The WiFi is working fine on both.
I had a WiFi loss (no router connected) when I had to kill the power to my router. For a while WiFi would not connect with my network. I plugged in the router to my PC and fiddled about for most of the day. The router gave me an Internet connection, the WiFi did not.

All my many attempts to connect with the Virgin network were repeatedly met with "cannot connect to this network".

PS - my reference to USB covers the router Ethernet lead which plugs into a socket on my PC. It is not a USB socket. Sorry.

Eventually I got WiFi connected and linked to my printer, I honestly do not know how, but I did. They both work perfect now on WiFi. I am reluctant to unplug the router in case WiFi is lost again.
I understand my router is called a Superhub, see -

Last edited by beaker17; 25-12-2018 at 17:25.
beaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote