View Single Post
Old 22-01-2019, 18:45   #6796
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
There is nowhere in the European Union where the cost of living is so low that Universal Credit can be considered a “fortune”; you’re also ignoring the fact they have to live on it HERE.

There’s little to no evidence of any of what you suggest and even where such little instances do happen removing EU migration and EU trade is somewhat using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

There’s no evidence the NHS will be better off when it has to take the time and effort to train staff rather than import them.
There are plenty of EU countries whose welfare state is either inferior or non existent compared to ours with plenty of evidence that this attracts both EU and non EU immigrants alike. To these people, UC is indeed a fortune as is the minimum wage. Because of our different standards of living, prices will also appear to be correspondingly higher too (especially for accommodation); this is mitigated by workers sleeping rough, living in tents, severely overcrowding houses etc.

I haven't suggested removing EU immigration, I haven't mentioned the separate issue of EU trade, nor the issue of immigrants working in the NHS- I was referring to the users of it.