View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 15:19   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Gaming PC advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
I can Google all day but nothing beatrs personal recommendations.
I suggest you have a quick browse at these two pages because this choice is an important long term decision so you need to get it right.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/revi...uide,5844.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/revi...rchy,4388.html

I have got a Geforce 1060 which is/was a great mid-range card a few years and still performs very well so if you could get your hands on one I think you would be very happy. If buying a graphics card was the only thing you needed and was going to solve your problem then from a cost point of view I would seriously consider this card.

If however you are looking at multiple upgrades and/or close to a new system then there is something to be said for futureproofing and getting the latest technology. Unless you have got cash to splash and want high end everything, if it were me, I would be looking at a 1660 or 2060, the different variants, benchmark results and cost. Start with the 1660 as a base and then budget permitting look at whether you want to spend an extra £30/£40 for x% performance increase.

As an example, according to that benchmark my 6gb 1060 (currently £190) scores 34% and the 1660 Super scores 48.3% for £260. I can tell you now that if I was buying a new card today that this is the sort of difference I would be looking at. 14% difference doesn't sound very much but it is nearly a 50% performance increase. My card scoring 34% sounds shit but I know how it performs. I play fps and everything runs on high or ultra as smooth as a babies bum looking very pretty so if my card scores 34% for that, I think I would be very happy with something scoring 48%.

Kush has talked about the other stuff. I think your ram and hdd are fine for the mo, the only other thing you would want to look at upgrading is your cpu but then that will probably mean a new motherboard which means you had might as well get a new pc with new everything. Some people see this as a fun challenge and want to have a crack at doing it themselves however if you would like it done for you I can't recommend Mesh Computers enough. Although everything is advertised as base spec they are not pre-builds like you would buy in shops. Everything is built to order and you can swap stuff around as much as you want. These guys use the best components and their customer service and tech support is superb. I have had 3 pcs from them over the last 20 years and I will continue buying from them as long as they are around. Take a look and see what you think.

Last edited by General Maximus; 08-06-2020 at 15:22.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote