View Single Post
Old 10-09-2021, 17:44   #50
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: PC Spec Question.

1st PC I owned from 1989 was a 386DX2-66. Total cost £3,000. £1,000 just for the 330Mb ESDI HDD. Programming PCs for a few years before that, and other systems around a decade before that.

The Linux community is pretty big, so should have most devices covered, and plenty of advice as to what will or won't work.

Things like DVD drives and card readers can easily be external USB devices, rather than built into the case.

My dilemma at the moment is how long should I wait for Intel or AMD to come up with new features. Intel is coming up with systems(Alder Lake) that will support PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 memory. If I wait too long my current 8-year old (Intel i7 4th Gen unlocked) might give up in the meantime.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote