View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 11:30   #16
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Akamai Cache Congestion

Bit of an update for anyone interested...

I was also having issues with Sky go / now tv / BT sport, HD quality was horrendous and 4K streams buffered and dropped to unwatchable quality.

After a bunch of various troubleshooting i worked out that virgin appear to be doing some kind of DNS hijacking (despite all my kit using 1.1.1.1/8.8.8.8) which was still sending various stuff to other IPs.

I got round this by setting up DoH on my pihole to cloudflare, i'm now getting sent to other IPs for all the above services and the quality seems a lot better.

Still testing but the above appears to have resolved this to an extent

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 ----------

Just to add a bit of evidence to the above, with cloudflare but wiithout DoH, akadash0.akamaized.net gets me to that internal Virgin host in my OP.

However if i switch to my pihole with DoH enabled, i get sent to a104-77-160-89.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [104.77.160.89]

This is repeatable every time i switch, i'm guessing virgin do this to direct customers to their own Netflix cache etc however it seems to be doing something weird in this case!
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote