View Single Post
Old 25-07-2019, 17:10   #1186
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: Plane Spotters Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
As far as I understand it there’s no such thing as “an original Silver Spitfire”, certainly not in the way the Evening Standard seems to understand it. So far as I can tell this was just a regular Mk.ix plane built during the war alongside a lot of others and presumably painted up the same as them. It’s just that the restorers have chosen to restore and style it in this way.

Or have I got it totally wrong? Was “The Silver Spitfire” a thing in 1943?
Pretty much spot on. It was a normal mk ix originally with 118sqn painted up with the same livery as any other aircraft in the unit.

This aircraft is one of the best airworthy examples in terms of original spec which is where the writer of the piece seems to have misinterpreted their research.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote