View Single Post
Old 16-06-2019, 11:09   #6
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Business Service with 13 Public IP Addresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakie View Post
HI,

Signed up to Virgin Business 350/20 with 13 usable public IP addresses (after the router and network have taken theirs).

Sales lady mentioned something about modem mode and having to attach my own Wifi Router. Was a bit sceptical of this so I asked to be be connected to their tech support and spoke to someone who said he was a senior network engineer.
He assured me I just needed a Wifi router that was capable of using public IP addresses after I queried him about it.

So as I had recently bought a NetGear R8000 I have flashed dd-wrt onto it and am all set to go. Or so I thought!

I have been searching the net for advise on configuring it to to see if anyone was using the same setup and I am now very worried.
Reading all sorts of things about GRE Tunnels and the router in modem mode not supporting static public IP addresses? The way it was explained to me was modem mode was there so you could use all the public IPs.

Most of the info I have read has been at least a year old, so I am hoping it is no longer the case. Else why would they have sold me this product?

I am worrying for no reason or have I been sold a dud?
Firstly if you have multiple static IP addresses from VM Business don't put the Hitron into modem mode. In effect when configured with a multiple statics it is as close to modem mode as you will get anyway. In this mode the Hitron will not perform any NAT functions, so you do not suffer multiple NAT as you would without multiple static IP addressing.

Your setup should work fine with a Netgear sitting behind the Hitron. Firstly make a note of the IP address that the Hitron has (it will be your default gateway address when you connect a device to it via ethernet and can browse the internet).

Configure your netgear with a static WAN IP address and use the next IP address in sequence. So as an explample if your Hitron LAN address is 1.1.1.1 configure your Netgear's WAN address to be 1.1.1.2. The Netgear should have a WAN subnet mask of 255.255.255.240

The netgear will need either a static default route or on it's WAN interface configured with a next hop/gateway of the Hitron's LAN address 1.1.1.1 in my example. I am not familiar with it's config to know which will apply.

Once you have done that connect the Netgear WAN port to one of the Hitron LAN ports.

Then configure the rest of the Netgear as you would normally for WiFi, LAN DHCP etc etc. You can use a standard 192.168.xxx.xxx range for the LAN/WiFi on the Netgear.

I have much the same setup working well, except using a Draytek in place of the Netgear.

Once you have done all that and tested the config you need to configure the other remaining public IP addresses as secondary WAN addresses on the Netgear, and can then use them as you describe. Again I have the same config on the Draytek.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote