View Single Post
Old 15-06-2019, 18:34   #1
flakie
Inactive

flakie is an unknown quantity at this point
Business Service with 13 Public IP Addresses

HI,

Signed up to Virgin Business 350/20 with 13 usable public IP addresses (after the router and network have taken theirs).

Sales lady mentioned something about modem mode and having to attach my own Wifi Router. Was a bit sceptical of this so I asked to be be connected to their tech support and spoke to someone who said he was a senior network engineer.
He assured me I just needed a Wifi router that was capable of using public IP addresses after I queried him about it.

So as I had recently bought a NetGear R8000 I have flashed dd-wrt onto it and am all set to go. Or so I thought!

I have been searching the net for advise on configuring it to to see if anyone was using the same setup and I am now very worried.
Reading all sorts of things about GRE Tunnels and the router in modem mode not supporting static public IP addresses? The way it was explained to me was modem mode was there so you could use all the public IPs.

Most of the info I have read has been at least a year old, so I am hoping it is no longer the case. Else why would they have sold me this product?

I am worrying for no reason or have I been sold a dud?
flakie is offline   Reply With Quote