View Single Post
Old 27-05-2020, 10:02   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Changing lan address of new router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwam12 View Post
1) I’m going to upgrade the firmware . Better to use official Asus one or Merlin one?
doesn't matter per se. The Merlin firmware does everything the Asus does plus more but if you don't know what the difference is then just stick with the Asus firmware and let it update itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwam12 View Post
2) I understand the Asus assigns Lan addresses on range 192.168.1.x
Currently everything is on 192.168.0.x
Rather than having to reconfigure each device on my network, can I just change the LAN on the Asus settings and are there any issues with doing this?
the whole point of routers and dhcp is that it does all of that for you. If you swapped over the routers while devices like your pc were on and a new addressing scheme was implemented then those devices would need a quick reboot (or the network adapters resetting) to get the new ip address. Going forward the shub isn't going to have anything to do with your network and the Asus is going to handle everything. The interface is quite self intuitive so have a good look around and see what everything does. Imho one of the key features which you should look at immediately is the DNS server under the WAN tab. They'll be empty by default which means the DNS address handed out to all your clients will be the isp address and in this case VM's which isn't good. If you change them to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google's) all clients on your network will try and use those first and then only use VM's (tertiary address) if google fails, which is never going to happen. If you had a custom wireless network on the shub (non-standard VM ssid and password) you can use the same SSID and password on your 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks on your Asus and the wireless clients will automatically connect as if nothing has changed.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote