View Single Post
Old 14-05-2019, 20:21   #7
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Would a router be a benefit to me??

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
This is the first time I have ever said this but you should stick with the shub in router mode. Pretty much any third party router you get is going to be better than the shub but in order to benefit from it you actually have to have a reason to need it. Apart from better wifi performance which you don't need (and you linked to a triband router ) there are other benefits such as usb ports for hosting networked storage, remote storage access and network printers.

If finances permit I would always recommend to anyone that they invest in their own router because if you use the internet a lot you are investing in quality and performance on one of the most important pieces of equipment in your house. That being said, you don't need to spend £300 on a router, I have got the one below and it is fantastic.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC6...s%2C141&sr=8-3

I cannot stress enough that is you think there is even an inkling that you think your wifi use is going to increase in the future by way of wireless printers, tablets, laptops etc I would highly recommend spending the extra £40 and going for the twin pack for AI Mesh.

In the short term an immediate and significant benefit for you if you did get your own router is being able to set your own DNS servers; it is a god send.
AI Mesh is fine if you don't mind wasting most of the router resources of the 2nd of your pair of AI Mesh routers. I did try adding an additional RT-AC86U to my existing RT-AC88U. Converting it to AI mesh mode disabled so many of the features you would want to have in an excellent second router. If boosting WiFi signal / quality is the priority why not add a really cheap router to act as an access point to supplement the SHub?

Last edited by roughbeast; 14-05-2019 at 20:45.
roughbeast is online now   Reply With Quote