View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 15:09   #6998
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Much previous conversation around this matter has revolved around Amazon or others having the resource to “blow Sky out the water”, so I’ve largely stuck to addressing that point.

Do Amazon want to do a BT/ESPN/Setanta and increase their costs to play second fiddle with a game once per week? BT Sport standalone is quite an expensive product for what it is.
I don't think anyone could argue against the fact that Amazon couldn't possibly make a return on a £5 billion investment in a single market,
but lets follow your example, say no special package is created for them and they decide to go for BT's 12:30 pm Saturday games?
The economics become far more complicated, how many extra Prime subscriptions would they create?
How much extra retail sales would they get?
How much upselling of other subscriptions like Amazon Music which is cheaper than Spotify would they create?

This three year deal is undoubtedly an experiment by them to work out the metrics which is why I said it will be a big if that they bid again for rights, they don't need to be a dominant player in the market or blow Sky out of the water, they just need to secure enough rights to increase their main business which is selling us stuff.